Criterion Xi^2

Experience and tips of users

Criterion Xi^2

Postby ihraf » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:00 am

Hi ALex,

I still can't understand the relation between the Success rate % , the entropy and the Criterion Xi ^2

For this example I see that the Success rate % and the entropy are good but the Criterion Xi ^2 is too High

And as you said , the value must be small.

Please can you explain
Attachments
criterion.JPG
criterion.JPG (26.72 KiB) Viewed 12393 times
ihraf

Re: Criterion Xi^2

Postby Alex » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:38 am

Statistical criterion Xi^2 is calculated as a N * Sum((P-W)^2/P), where P is an average computed probability of given correct score, W is actual relative frequency of given correct score. Summation is made over all possible scores from 0:0 to 10:10. This criterion measures difference between actual and computed probability distributions.

Success rate and Entropy rely on the "successful" probabilities of outcomes. I.e. probabilities (P1-PX-P2) are counted when they are consistent with the actual outcome of an event (home win - draw - away win). Otherwise they are ignored. N1, NX, N2 - actual number of "successful" home wins, draws, and away wins.

SuccR = Sum(P1)/N1 + Sum(PX)/NX + Sum(P2)/N2, commonly used Success rate.

Entropy = (Sum(-ln(P1)) + Sum(-ln(PX)) + Sum(-ln(P2)))/(N1+NX+N2);

The problem is that all these criterions are not consistent with each other. For instance, good small value for Xi^2 does not mean highest value for SuccR and smallest value for Entropy, and vice versa. It is the reason that we still continue research on this subject.
Alex
Site Admin

Return to Experience and tips